Monday, June 14, 2010

Allow me to introduce myself

Once upon a time, in a land too far away and a time not quite forgotten, there lived a family of seven getting by on one low income.

That is how my story begins. Well, I guess technically it began with a family of five who discovered they were expecting a sixth. The seventh arrived a couple years after. My beginning, as with every beginning, set in motion the events that would ultimately bring us to this current chapter. Along the way there were the usual devices for character development, the life-altering decisions, and the plot twists.

I have been a child, a student, a babysitter, a college student, a drive thru window operator, a tutor, an undergraduate research assistant, a biomedical researcher, a laboratory technician, a case manager for the United Way helping hurricane victims, a high school science teacher, a wife, a birth doula, a technical writer. With each profession, I have grown.

As of now, I am a homemaker and mother. If there were an advertisement for my current position, the job description would be epic in the literal sense of the word. The responsibilities and duties are innumerable. I love it. I hate it. I thank my husband for the sacrifices which allow us to raise our child in the manner we feel is best for our family. I dream of freedom and privacy and the ever elusive "alone time." I stagnate.

Luckily, my ending hasn't been written yet, and I have growing left to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment